Importing a vehicle

BrusselsLife Team.

05 Jul 2012, 05:07 Last Updated: 13 Dec 2012, 07:12

A used car purchased from abroad is not subject to tax.

To be able to register such a vehicle in Belgium, you must obtain a stamp 705 from the Belgian customs department once they have examined the invoice and registration papers from the country of origin. A "certificat de conformité" can then be prepared by the representative of the car's make in Belgium, before passing the compulsory MOT test for second hand cars. The car will then be "Belgian".