Last updated on 26/06/2016
What to do about a fox in your yard
A bunch of reddish fir has been regularly visiting your yard… Yep, you’ve got a new flatmate who responds to the scientific name Vulpes vulpes. Or just fox for short.
Brussels has not escaped this new phenomenon: foxes have found enough food and calm in the majority of European capitals to live and reproduce for several years now. Naturally, the districts next to the Forêt de Soignes (Auderghem, Uccle, Watermael-Boitsfort, and Woluwe) have the highest population. It is not unheard of to see foxes gallivanting in these areas…
- In order to ward off foxes, here are several precautionary measures:
- Take out the trash at the latest time possible.
- Do not feed the foxes (even involuntarily by leaving food outside for your cats or dogs).
- If you have a compost, don’t put meat or fish in it. The smell will do nothing but attract the foxes.
- Do not get too close to them. Yes in theory the fox population in Brussels does not have an aggressive history, but this is still a wild animal that you should always observe at a distance!
The fox, apart from being an indigenous animal to the Brussels Capital Region, is a protected species. You are forbidden to harm them, move them, capture them, and especially kill them. However you can do something.…
Despite all your precautions, the fox keeps coming back to your garden! During the day, the fox rests, and your sun soaked and wind protected property is heaven on earth for this animal.
- Still don’t feed them! (Duh)
- Use your garden. The fox needs to learn that it’s your territory and not his.
- Look at the bright side. As long as a fox is in the vicinity, the chance that rodents will be present too is very low.
- Protect your plants. The fox’s desecrations could make you sick via your fruits and vegetables.
If a fox has burrowed a hole in your backyard for his family, make a call to Brussels Environment (02/775.75.75) to find out what steps to take. While you wait for regional services to take action, you can always obstruct the entrance to the hole. This can sometimes be enough to drive away the animal.
In the end, we hope that this denizen of the forest will become just a passerby in your neck of the woods…
Istituto Italiano di Cultura Bruxelles
All of Italian culture in a single place
Motor Village - Bruxelles
Motor Village Belgium : a new concept in motor retail.
Are you up to learn a language or computing
Smart Center Mannès