Last updated on 23/05/2018
Brussels and Liège Waffles
The Belgian waffle, whether from Liege or from Brussels, is known worldwide. The waffle from Liege is thick and contains pearl sugar which delightfully crunches. Enjoy it warm for more flavor. Its cousin, on the other hand, the waffle from Brussels: it's lighter and eaten with powdered sugar or covered with whipped cream and strawberries.
Do these delicacies tempt you? Not a moment to lose! Get your apron and following the recipes below. You will love these delicious waffles. Let's get started!
Waffle from Liege
For 15 to 25 waffles, we usually recommend a preparation including:
-1 kg of flour
- 75 gr of yeast
- 5 dl of milk and water (room temperature)
- 50 gr of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 500 gr of butter
- 50 gr of honey
- Vanilla or cinnamon
- 3 grams of baking soda
- 600 gr of pearl sugar.
1. To start your preparation, you mix together 800 gr of flour, yeast, milk and water, the granulated sugar, the eggs.
2. Let the dough rise for 15 minutes. and then add the honey, butter, 200 gr of flour, salt and vanilla sugar as well as the baking soda.
3. Mix it all gently to obtain a homogeneous dough. Then, let its volume rise for 10 minutes in a temperate place.
4. Next, add some pearl sugar. Separate it the dough into 90 to 140 gr balls. Let the dough rise for a short while.
5. To finish, cook over low heat for thick waffles and high heat for waffle irons with a shallow mesh. Suggestion: you can serve them plain or covered with different spreads like honey, maple syrup, jam, peanut butter or even Liege syrup (sirop de Liège) to stay in the Belgian spirit!
Waffle from Brussels
For 14 waffles, the preparation will include:
- 125 gr of flour
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml of milk
- 150 gr of butter
- 1 bag of vanilla sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar.
1. Boil the milk in which you will have added the bag of vanilla sugar. Let it cool a little so that the mixture becomes warm.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and allow to cool. Then, remove the foam and without stirring, pour the butter into a bowl while making sure to leave the white deposit at the bottom.
3. Separate whites and yolks and place yolks in a dish with a pinch of salt and one tablespoon of granulated sugar.
4. Beat it all while adding the butter, the warm milk and the flour until you obtain a uniform dough.
5. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk them until very stiff. Stir slowly with a spatula and mix with the dough.
6. Cook the dough dumplings in a waffle iron until slightly golden. Eat them warm and spread them with granulated sugar. Suggestion: you can also serve them with whipped cream, fruit, or chocolate spread. Bon appétit!